More information about this month's stories
October is Energy Action Month! Below you will find simple energy saving tips that could make a big difference to our environment:
1. Set your thermostat fan to the “auto” setting instead of “on.”
2. Buy Energy Star appliances and electronics. Look for the Energy Star logo.
3. Replace traditional light bulbs with energy-saving compact fluorescent bulbs.
4. Replace your air filters each month. Free air filters are available at your Community Office.
5. Minimize hot water use by taking shorter showers and washing your clothes in cold water.
6. Use your dishwasher and washing machine only with full loads.
7. Keep outside vents free of leaves or debris that may clog vents.
8. Keep windows near your thermostat tightly closed; otherwise, it will keep your HVAC working after the rest of the house is at the desired temperature.
9. On cooler days, keep draperies and shades open to allow light indoors. On warmer days, keep draperies and shades closed.
10. Set your air conditioner thermostat as high as you still feel reasonably comfortable.
11. Don't set the thermostat at a colder setting than normal when you turn on your air conditioner. Your house will not cool any faster.
12. Don't place lamps or TV sets near your air conditioning thermostat. Heat from these items is sensed by the thermostat and could cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary.
13. Turn lights off in vacant rooms.
14. Use large appliances in the early morning and late evening.
15. Use a fan instead of air conditioning on cooler days.
16. Dress appropriately for the warmer indoor temperatures.
17. Use cold water rather than hot when running the garbage disposal.
18. Boil water in a covered pan; the water boils faster when the pan is covered.
19. Keep range top burners and reflectors clean so your stove operates at peak efficiency.
20. When using an oven or an electric burner, turn it off a little while before the cooking is done. The oven or element will stay hot after you turn it off.
21. When you have a choice, use the range top instead of the oven.
22. Scrape dishes before loading them into the dishwasher so you won't have to rinse them.
23. Let your dishes air dry.
24. Don't use the "rinse hold" on your dishwasher for just a few soiled dishes.
25. Use microwaves to cook food. They use half the power as conventional ovens and won’t heat up your kitchen.
26. Turn off lights, fans and electronics when you leave a room.